When a woman finds out she’s pregnant, she keeps thinking about her first medical visits and her first ultrasound. Social Security covers at least three pregnancy ultrasounds and where they are required. If the doctor needs it, much more can be done if the pregnancy suffers from some kind of risk. However, we will focus on when the first ultrasound is performed and whether it is necessary to do it privately or by social security.
An ultrasound will provide all the necessary data to confirm that: the pregnancy develops in perfect conditions. It gives us that peace of mind and reassurance that everything is going in the right direction. In addition, the following ultrasounds will give us a further assessment that the growth and development of the baby is continuing the correct guidelines for your gestational age.
When they do your first ultrasound at Social Security
Social Security compensates three ultrasounds during pregnancy. In the first trimester and coinciding with the 12th week of pregnancy, the first visualization is performed. You can already have an ultrasound or ultrasound made in week 7 of pregnancywhere, if it is a special case, it can be requested by a private doctor.
In many centers or clinics, the first ultrasound is usually done vaginal, because the embryo is too small to be valued in the traditional way. With this first recording you can already see how the baby is growing, the baby’s heart rate and when the next delivery date is.
What if I opt for an ultrasound well before week 12?
The first echo can be well before week 12, but it must be done in a private clinic and for a fee. This allows you to choose to know the same results and with the same professionalism as in social security. Some centers even have much more modern technology and the same professional team
What are echoes?
Fetal ultrasound is a technique that used for imaging where sound waves are used that bounce off tissues, fluids and anything solid that is part of the baby. These waves are translated into images so that the doctor can interpret them. This ultrasound allows evaluation of the baby’s growth and development to better control the pregnancy. What does ultrasound allow us to do?
- Do a pregnancy check and observe if the growth and development of the baby is correct.
- If there is a problem, it can be accurately analyzed and a diagnosis can be confirmed.
- It also allows you to an assessment of what the gestational age is, if the data of the last menstrual period coincides with the weeks of pregnancy. In addition, it assesses the type of placenta and whether there is more than one baby in the same pregnancy.
What types of ultrasounds are performed during pregnancy?
There are two main types of fetal ultrasound:
- abdominal ultrasound, the most common and where to be improved with the emission of sound waves on the abdomen and which translates into images. A conductive gel is applied to facilitate the examination much better.
- transvaginal ultrasound, in which a transducer is placed in the vagina to capture images similar to abdominal ultrasound. It is often used in early pregnancy when the other type of ultrasound cannot provide enough information.
Within the group of abdominal ultrasounds there are these other types:
- Doppler ultrasoundwhich contains information about the blood circulation of the baby.
- Fetal Echocardiography, does not report in detail how the baby’s heart works. It can be used to rule out the absence of a heart defect.
- 3D ultrasounddetail images with much more clarity and where you can see the baby in more detail.
- specialized ultrasoundis performed when it is suspected that there may be an abnormality in the fetus.
Therefore, social security perform at least 3 ultrasounds, one in each trimester. They are the minimum values established to ensure proper monitoring of its development. If you prefer to do a little more, you will choose to resort to a private clinic, there are women who choose to do one every month.
#ultrasound #Social #Security